Gasoline prices continue to rise and fall and rise some more. There
are many ways that new or used car owners can improve overall fuel
economy by as much as 20 percent.
The first thing that affects fuel economy is how you drive the car…
- Plan your trips – Try to accomplish multiple things in 1
trip. You can also try to car pool or walk to your destination. This
won’t decrease fuel consumption but will help you drive less, which
means less gas.
- Do Not Speed – If you are on the highway driving 100kph
instead of 110kph will save you 1-2 kilometers per liter over the
duration of your trip. Try using your cruise control it reduces fuel
consumption by maintaining a constant speed.
- Throttle Less – Accelerate and brake with ease. You will save on fuel as well as wear and tear on your brakes.
- Don’t warm up – Thanks to new technology most modern cars only really need 30 seconds to get warm.
- Windows up – Having the windows down on the highway can decrease fuel economy by up to 10 percent.
The other major thing that affects fuel economy is the maintenance of your car…
- Oil – Use only manufacturer’s specified motor oil, and change it per factory recommendations, can improve fuel economy as well.
- Weight – The less weight in your vehicle the better fuel economy. An extra 45 kilograms increases fuel consumption by 1 to 2 percent.
- Tires – Make sure your tires are set to the recommended
pressure at all times this can increases fuel economy by as much as 3.3
- Filters – A clean air filter and fuel filter will allow the
air and fuel to flow unencumbered and can help you save up to 10 percent
on fuel costs.
- Sensors – The oxygen sensors, engine emissions system and
evaporative emissions control systems if damaged can all decrease fuel
mileage by 20 percent or more.
- Gas – The owner’s manual will list the correct octane
gasoline you should use for your car. Purchase recommended grade of
fuel, premium-grade fuel won’t improve economy in cars designed for
If you take care of your car it will take care of you. Is it time to
schedule your vehicle for regular maintenance? Would you like your
vehicle checked prior to making that weekend trip? If so, then please
feel free to contact our service department. Our certified technicians will be happy to help.