Checking the transmission fluid in your car is a relatively simple procedure and should be done about once per month. To get the most accurate reading you should check the transmission with the engine running and properly warmed up, on a level service.
- First, remove the dipstick from under the hood (if you are unsure as to where it is located, check your owner’s manual).
- The handle is usually a bright color (generally yellow or red).
- Remove the stick, wipe it clean, replace, and then remove it again.
- There are labels for “Warm” and “Cold”- check the warm readings.
- If it is not full, slowly fill the fluid up a little at a time, and continue to measure with the dipstick.
- To fill the fluid you should use a funnel and pour it into the hole where you pulled the dipstick. After filling, replace the dipstick, and after a few moments remove to confirm that it has been done correctly.
When checking your transmission fluid, be sure to check its colour. Transmission fluid is a pinkish/red color. If your fluid is brown that is a sign that there may be something wrong with the car. If this is the case, schedule an appointment, where our experienced technicians are more than happy to help!